Greyhound Trust South Lakes
Charity numbers:  269668 & SCO4404
7

Fostering and Homing Greyhounds in Cumbria and the South Lakes

This website covers all the Greyhounds coming to the branch from 1st January 2018. To see the 500+ Greyhounds homed between July 2004 and December 2017 visit ourgreyhounds.co.uk

Items Harmful to Greyhounds

We are not experts, but having had greyhounds for many years and been homing greyhounds since July 2004 we can draw on the training we received during that time along with our experiences in order to help others.  What is written here is a new revision of my book 'Caring For My Rescued Greyhound'.  It's a guide only because every incident and dog is different.  Jenny Stott

(The term him also refers to her)

Back to the list of tips:

Certain things are harmful to your greyhound and these you need to be aware of in order to keep him safe.

BARBITURATE ANESTHETICS
When a greyhound is given an anesthetic if MUST be a non-barbirurate.
With having no fat a greyhound can't asborb the barbiturate the same way as other dogs can.  If given one it can either kill the greyhound or it can take up to 24 to 48 hours to recover.  Therefore, using a non-barbiturate anesthetic is essential.

FLOWERS & GARDEN PRODUCTS

Cocoa Bean & Cocoa Shell Mulch:
These are byproduct of the chocolate-making industry and are highly prized by gardeners for its dark, rich colour and high nutrient content, not to mention the delicious aroma. 
Bags are
sold in various stores and garden centres.
The mulch contains an ingredient called 'Theobromine', which is lethal to dogs and cats.
The bags often contain no written warning of it's danger.

Daffodils:
Daffodil bulbs are poisonous when eaten.

Hyacinths:
Eating the bulbs can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Lilies:
Drinking water from a vase of lilies or breathing in the pollen dust can be toxic.

Tulips:
If a quantity are eaten they can cause skin iritations, vomiting and diarrhoea:

FOOD

Onions:

Mushrooms:

Chocolate:

Grapes (Sultanas, Raisins, Currants and Wine):

Peanut Butter that contains xylitol is toxic to dogs and can cause seizures or liver failure.  If you are getting peanut butter from a supermarket as oposed to a pet shop ensure to read the label to ensure there is no xylitol in it.